Monday, June 18, 2012

3 Step Life Plan

The past couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of busyness. We had friends in town for a week and then a few days after they left, I went out of town with our kids. Now my husband is gearing up for a cross-country trip and a few days after he returns, we will be welcoming another family for a week long visit at our house. The summer months are always an incredibly social time for us and I love it!
But with all the craziness I haven't had time to blog. Bad blogger.

Anyway, while I was on the plane headed back home I had plenty of time to mull things over in my head and revisit some conversations that were had with family and friends on my trip. You see, my family and I are at an interesting time in our lives and there are major changes on the horizon. Good changes though, such as relocating and new careers and such. But as of yet we just aren't sure where we are headed or where we should be headed. And to help me personally deal with the stress, I've decided that I need to make some lifestyle changes.

We recently stopped peppering our diet with organic and started relying mainly on organics. This has been somewhat challenging because where we currently live there aren't many organic options. But we are making it work, which has once meant driving nearly 2 hours to the closest Whole Foods!

My newest idea is to do a week long juice fast to redirect my eating and detox at the same time. With all of my recent travel, I have been eating horribly....meaning I haven't had a home-cooked meal in nearly a week. Eeeeek! So the juice fast in step one.

Step two is to begin "really" taking the top 5 most important supplements for my particular needs. I always dilly-dally with supplements, taking them for a few days here, one week there. It's dumb. Really dumb. I'm thinking perhaps I have a committment issue. But no more! I committ to committ to taking my supplements.

The next thing on my list is to start meditating again. And my version of meditation is a little different than traditional meditation. Maybe. Although now I'm not so sure but I kinda think it is. Traditionally you are supposed to clear your mind and reach a very zen place, but what I want to do is just have a few minutes of quiet time and instead of clearing my mind I want to fill it with wholesomeness.

 My idea is to have a weekly list of things to meditate on and include a scripture or devotional with it. For example, for my first week I would like to focus on gratitude, so I would start my meditation with a scripture on gratitude, meditate on what it means to be grateful and all that I have to be grateful for, and then I would end the meditation with a prayer.

I am quite convinced that these 3 simple steps are going to push my mind in the right direction. And sometimes that's all we really need....to just get back to the simple things, redirect our focus and take better care of ourselves. The rest tends to have a way of working itself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment